Students from Reception to Year 12 participate in our successful instrumental and choral program. The school demonstrates a strong commitment to classroom music as part of the curriculum, where students are offered an array of performance and creative opportunities.
Blackfriars has a large number of co-curricular music ensembles available for students. It is an expectation that, where possible, students who learn an instrument through Blackfriars’ Instrumental Program are involved in at least one co-curricular ensemble.
- Stage Band 1 and 2 (auditioned ensembles)
- Concert Band 1 and 2
- Instrumental ensembles (percussion, guitar, saxophone, etc)
- Secondary Vocal Ensemble
- Year 5/6 Choir
- Concert Band 3
- Junior instrumental ensembles (percussion, guitar, etc)
- Generations In Jazz – Held in in Mount Gambier for members of Stage Band 1 and 2.
- Annual Music Concert – Showcase of all Blackfriars’ ensembles, held at Woodville Town Hall.
- ABODA Band and Orchestra Festival – Band competition for members of all Stage Bands and Concert Bands, held at Westminster School.
- Catholic Schools Music Festival – Year 5/6 Choir, Secondary Vocal ensemble and various other ensembles perform at The FestivalTheatre across the weekly festival.
- Primary Arts Night – A showcase of all primary arts, including Concert Band 3, 5/6 Choir and Junior Instrumental ensembles, held at Blackfriars.
- Music soirees – Informal performances for soloists and small ensembles held at Blackfriars, generally twice a year.
- Music for school events – Blackfriars ensembles frequently perform at important school events, including assemblies, masses and community events.
Blackfriars offers music curriculum subjects for all year levels. Primary students undertake weekly music lessons and a variety of subjects are available for secondary students. Secondary Music subjects include:
- General Music (Year 7 and 8)
- Music Performance (Years 7-10, for students focused on learning an individual instrument)
- Music Technology (Year 9)
- Solo Performance (SACE Stage 1 and 2)
- Ensemble Performance (SACE Stage 1 and 2)
- Music Explorations (SACE Stage 2)
Private tuition with specialist instrumental tutors is available to students at Blackfriars. 30-minute lessons are taken throughout the school day, on varying days and times, at the discretion of each instrumental tutor. Instruments available to learn are:
For music scholarship information, click here.