An exciting learning enrichment program designed for boys in Years 7 to 11 looking to extend their academic program at Blackfriars.
The Ax Academy program enhances the standard secondary school curriculum and includes a broad range of problem-solving and project-based activities in the STEM disciplines – Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Ax encourages highly motivated students to extend themselves, collaborate with like-minded students and to excel. Ax is offered as an elective subject and is accompanied by a number of co-curricular opportunities.
The Ax Academy has four major components:
- Accelerated subject offerings
- Project-based in-school and after-school STEM extension activities
- Mentoring by industry experts
- Opportunity to participate in STEM experiences and competitions
To join the Ax Academy, students apply via their subject selection form and require endorsement from their STEM based subject teachers. To be eligible, students must:
- Display a genuine curiosity in STEM-based subjects
- Exhibit an inquiry-based approach to the STEM disciplines
- Have demonstrated a willingness to explore innovative ways to solve complex real-world problems
- Be able to work collaboratively with peers